Tour of Racine
- Monument Square
500 South Main Street
Monument Square is the center of activities in Racine. It was originally called Haymarket Square. The name was changed to Monument Square with the dedication of the 61 foot high Civil War Soldiers Memorial in 1884. Monument Square hosts many activities such as: Music at the Monument, Friday lunchtime outdoor concerts; Summer Nights at the Square Saturday evening concerts; and Micros on the Monument. Monument Square is also the focalpoint of all downtown events including: Party on the Pavement, First Fridays and Winterfest. In addition to the Civil War Soldiers Memorial, Monument Square also has monuments to the escaped slave Joshua Glover and Old Abe, the Case Eagle.
- Johnson Building
555 South Main Street
As the centerpiece of civic revitalization in downtown Racine, the Johnson Building embraces its urban setting. The building was downtown Racine's biggest project of its time and opened its doors in 2002. A bronze sculpture "The Spirit of Carnauba" stands in its courtyard overlooking Lake Michigan. Housed in the building's southwest is the Carnauba Cafe, owned by members of the Johnson family. It seats close to 100 people and is open to Johnson Building employees and the public.
Carnauba Cafe Telephone: (262) 619-4110
- Racine Art Museum
441 South Main Street
Racine Art Museum (RAM) is a new museum featuring one of North America's most significant collections of contemporary crafts. RAM is open 6 days a week and is closed on national holidays. We also feature later hours on Thursday evenings. Award winning Chicago-based architects Brininstool + Lynch reinvented the downtown Racine, Wisconsin space as a 46,000 square foot museum designed specifically for RAM's permanent collection. Its glowing facade and street level galleries stand as cultural beacons, drawing the attention of passers by both night and day.
- Kewpee Sandwich Shop
520 Wisconsin Avenue
The Kewpee is famous throughout the Midwest as one of the oldest and best hamburger restaurants. Good Eating at the Kewpee
Hamburger Haven from Heaven.
Hours: Monday - Friday 7am - 6pm, Saturday 7am - 5pm, Closed Sunday
The Historic Sixth Street Business District
The Historic Sixth Street Business District is located in downtown Racine. Featuring a variety of restaurants, specialty shops and art galleries.
- Old Engine House #3 & Colonial Gardens
700 Sixth Street
This firehouse built in 1881 was restored in 1976 as a firehouse museum. This museum is a former Racine Fire Department station which was active from 1882 to 1968. Throughout the years the Fire Station has housed a Horse Drawn Steamer, a Horse Drawn Hose Cart (1882-1918), a Motorized Fire Engine (1918-1943), and Racine's first full time Rescue Squad (1943-1968). The station was closed in 1968 when the new Safety Building opened and several companies were consolidated at one location. Open Sunday afternoons. The adjacent Colonial Gardens were planned and are maintained by the Racine Garden Club.
- City Hall
730 Washington Avenue
Seat of Racine City Government since 1931. Most city offices, including the Office of the Mayor are located within City Hall. Also located within City Hall is the Public Health Department, City Council Chambers, City Treasurer and WIC offices.
- Police and Fire Safety Building
700 Center Street
Opened in 1968, the Safety Building consolidated many police and fire services in one building. This was originally the site of the Mitchell Wagon Works, which also produced the Mitchell car at the turn of the century.
- Thomas S. Rees City Hall Annex
800 Center Street
Formerly the Racine Technical college, The City Hall Annex houses the Municipal Court, the administrative offices of the Parks and Recreation Department and the Water and Wastewater Utility Office.
- First Presbyterian Church
716 College Avenue
A masterpiece example of Greek Revival architecture. It was designed by Racine's most celebrated architect, Lucas Bradley. Completed in 1852, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Olympia Brown Unitarian Universalist Church
625 College Avenue
A Romanesque style building with impressive semi-circular stained-glass windows. Reverend Olympia Brown, the first American woman to be ordained, served the church in the pulpit for nine years (1878-1887). She left the pulpit to devote her time to woman's suffrage.
- Racine County Courthouse
730 Wisconsin Avenue
Built in 1931, this structure won international awards for its architectural design. The stone low-relief carvings are by the famous Swedish sculptor, Carl Milles. Built on the site of the first high school in Wisconsin.
740 College Avenue
Organized in Racine in 1894.
- First Baptist Church
801 Wisconsin Avenue
The Gothic style building (1876) features a lovely rose window which is lighted at night. Originally this building had a steeple which blew off the building in 1894 during 70mph winds. It fell straight north injuring no one. The steeple was never replaced.
- First United Methodist Church
745 Main Street
In 1836 this Methodist Congregation became the first church to be formed in Racine. The present building dates to 1914.
- Woman's Club
740 Lake Avenue
Neo-Gregorian style building designed in 1929 by Milwaukee architect Roger Kirckhoff.
725 Lake Avenue
The present building (1960) also contains resident rooms.
- Racine Public Library
730 Lake Avenue
Former site of the first Racine Lighthouse, the current building was dedicated in 1958.
- Memorial Hall
72 Seventh Street
Erected in 1925 in memory of Racine War veterans, this community building overlooks Lake Michigan. Designed in classical style by Howard Van Doren Shaw of Chicago.
- View of Lakefront Area
Between The Library and Memorial hall at the end of Seventh Street is a stunning view that overlooks the lake. Below can be seen the John J. Pershing Park, the public boat launch, and the harbor.
- St. Luke's Episcopal Church
614 Main Street
An imposing Gothic-Style church built in 1866 of Racine cream-colored brick. Included on the National Register of Historic Places.
Racine Heritage Museum
701 Main Street
Located in downtown, the Racine Heritage Museum highlights inventions that have revolutionized agriculture. Racine creates healthy home environments on every continent and our machines drive every kind of home appliance there is. Visit Malty the Mummy, our Egyptian resident and explore our interactives. Kid friendly!!
Formerly Racine's Public Library, this building was funded by Andrew Carnegie and features entrance lamps from the former West Sixth Street Bridge. It also houses the famous Philo Hoy bird collection and the bell form Wisconsin's first High School which opened in Racine in 1853.
Tuesday - Friday 9A-5P
Saturday 10A - 3P
Sunday 12N - 4P
- Racine County Law Enforcement Center
717 Wisconsin Avenue
The Racine County Law Enforcement Center was built in 1979
- Mitchell House
905 South Main Street
This house was owned by Henry Mitchell of the Mitchell Wagon works and was designed by Cecil Corwin.
- Blake House
936 South Main Street
This Tuscan villa with its hipped-roof tower and bracketed eaves was original the home of entrepreneur fanning-mill king, Lucius Blake.
- Beth Israel Sinai Congregation
944 South Main Street
The Jewish Synagogue of Racine.
- Masonic Lodge
1012 South Main Street
Built in 1856 for Henry Durand, a Racine pioneer involved in shipping, banking, railroading and insurance. Beautifully restored with 11 fireplaces, magnificent woodwork, Tiffany glass, and a third floor ballroom.
- Mary Todd Lincoln Statue
1001 South Main Street
Standing in East Park, this is the country's first statue to include Mary Todd Lincoln. Mrs. Lincoln visited Racine in the summer of 1867 to inquire about schooling for son Tad.
- Gateway Technical College
1001 South Main Street
The buildings comprise the Racine campus of Gateway Technical College.
- 1135 South Main Street
Built in the early 1850s, this home is considered the best remaining example of a Greek Revival House in Wisconsin.
- Thomas Jones Mansion
1144 South Main Street
This distinctive yellow Racine brick in the Italian villa design was built in 1868. The cupola as the logo of Preservation Racine.
- 1235 South Main Street
Built in 1845, it is the earliest surviving Gothic Revival home in Racine.
- Hardy House
1319 South Main Street
A Frank Lloyd Wright home built in 1905 at a cost of $6,000.00. The three-story house, fronting on Lake Michigan, creatively met the challenge of a narrow lot.
- Johnson Homestead
1737 Wisconsin Avenue
Samuel C. Johnson built this Gothic-influenced home in 1903. At that time Johnson was president of a hardware company that made "wooden carpets" or parquet floors.
- DeKoven Foundation
600 - 21st Street
Established in 1851 by the Episcopal Church, this was originally the campus of Racine College. Among its students were Brig. General Billy Mitchell, Earl Winfield Spencer (first husband of the Duchess of Windsor), General Mark Clark, and A. J. Horlick.
- Bickel House
1635 College Avenue
The childhood home of Frederick Bickel, better known as Fredric March, actor. This five-block section of College Avenue is still paved with the original red brick and stone curbing installed in 1897, a matter of great community pride.
Born Ernest Frederick Bickel in Racine, Wisconsin 31st August 1897. Died from cancer in Los Angeles 14th April 1975. Entered films as an extra, and gradually settled in Hollywood with the coming of sound. Won two Oscars for DR. JEKYLL 1931 AND MR. HYDE and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES.
- 1610 College Avenue
This house blends elements of Greek Revival and Italianate styles and is one of the finest restorations in the city.
- Frank House
College Avenue Bed & Breakfast
1520 College Avenue
This turreted Queen Ann style home was built in 1895 by August Frank and was said to be inspired by a honeymoon visit to European castles.
- St. Luke's Hospital
1320 Wisconsin Avenue
Founded in 1872. St. Luke's is part of the All Saint's Healthcare System, Inc. and is affiliated with Wheaton Franciscan Services, Inc.
- Winslow School
1325 Park Avenue
One of the three oldest school buildings in the city. it was built in 1856 on the site of Racine's first cemetery.
- Johnson Wax
1525 Howe Street
The Golden Rondelle. Built in 1964 for the New York World's Fair.
S. C. Johnson, Co Administration Building and Research Tower. These buildings have received world-wide recognition as outstanding works by Frank Lloyd Wright. Tours are available.
- The Junction
1200-1800 Washington Avenue
Also known as Uptown, this business and industrial area was formerly the junction of two railroads. Washington Avenue was a plank road built in 1848 and tolls were charged. The area was the site of many county estates with large grounds.
- Junction Branch Racine Public Library
1407 South Memorial Drive
On a balmy Memorial Day in 1914, the Racine Junction Advancement Association dedicated a branch library at Washington and Hamilton near the Racine Junction, financed by a Carnegie grant of $10,000. The Junction Branch (later called South Branch, and then Uptown Branch) was designed by the local architectural firm of Guilbert and Funston. One of the few public buildings in Racine constructed in the Prairie style, so indigenous to the Middle West, it served as a branch library for 74 years. Although it is now privately owned, the building still stands, in Uptown, at Washington Avenue and South Memorial Drive. Racine was one of only a few communities in the United States (58 out of some 1,420) to receive a Carnegie grant for more than one library building.
- The Uptown Theater
1430 Washington Avenue
The Uptown Theater, formerly known as the Majestic, was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1982. Origionaly opened on May 2, 1928 with a total of 1800 seats as both a "Movie Palace" and a theater used to stage plays and musicals. The Uptown has laid dormant for the last 40 years. The theatre is currently being restored by the Uptown Theatre Group, Inc. Tours are available. Each Hallowe'en season, the group opens up "The Haunted Theater" with ghostly tours of the historic theater.
- The Kearny Home
2219 Washington Avenue
The Parish House of Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Formerly one of the country estates, it was built for Mary and George Murray in 1874 and is now known as the Kearny home.
- West Racine
2700-5000 Washington Avenue
This area is sometimes called "Kringleville" (Kringle is a delectable Danish pastry containing a fruit or nut filling.) West Racine is known a "Little Denmark," and this business district is the heart of the Danish community.
- Cannon at the Entrance of Washington Park
3000 Washington Avenue
This French artillery piece is from World War I.
- Mound Cemetery
1147 West Boulevard
1851 — Thirty acres of land was purchased for Mound Cemetery, a city-owned cemetery which was named for the twelve Indian burial mounds within it. There are three revolutionary war soldiers buried here. Tours are available by appointment
- Washington Park Golf Course
2801 — 12th Street
This park and others in Racine were laid out by Jens Jensen, famous landscape architect.
It is Public 9-hole Bent grass course with water in play. Built in 1920.
- Root River
The Root River flows through the city to Lake Michigan. The name "Racine" is the French word for root. The park system continues through Washington Park, then Horlick (Island) Park north of the West Sixth Street Bridge.
- Luther Hill
2000 West Sixth Street
Site of Holy Communion Lutheran Church and the Parish House, it was originally Luther College built in 1901 for the Danish children of high-school age.
- Root River Steelhead Facility
2701 Dominick Drive
Dedicated in 1993 to insure the continued success of the Lake Michigan trout and salmon fishery. From Spring Street, turn into Lincoln Park on Dominick Drive and follow with Wisconsin DNR signs to the facility.
- Lincoln School and Statue
2015 Prospect Street
The school was built in 1891 and the statue was dedicated in 1924. The school is now part of the Lincoln Lutheran Community Services.
- Horlick Buildings
2200 Northwestern Avenue
Former home of the world-famous Horlick Malted Milk.
- Fine Arts Center
2519 Northwestern Avenue
Wustum Museum: an Art Museum with surrounding gardens, was a family home (1860), and was donated to the city by Jenny Wustum.
Racine Theatre Guild: completed in 1975, features a unique thrust stage and was financed entirely by community donations.
- Racine Country Club
2801 Northwestern Avenue
A private country club established in 1909, it was originally a summer-resort club with members living in apartments.
- Quarry Lake Park
3501 Northwestern Avenue
This Racine County Park, developed in 1972 on the site of the Standard Foundry quarry, provides swimming, picnicking, and scuba diving.
- Horlick Dam
3700 Northwestern Avenue
This scenic mill site is the location of Racine's first Post Office at "The Rapids" near the dam, and for many years a popular recreation area.
- Aviation Museum
3239 North Greenbay Road
John H. Batten Airport.
Experience Racine's Historic passion for flight.
- River Bend Nature Center
3600 North Greenbay Road
These 80 acres on Root River are owned by the YWCA, supporting a resident naturalist and providing nature study and outdoor activities for children and adults.
- Vulcan Materials and Quarry
1501 — 3 Mile Road
These limestone quarries 80 acres. The oldest is water-filled. The two newer quarries are connected by a tunnel 20 feet high, 40 feet wide, and 925 feet long running beneath Douglas Avenue and the water filled quarry. there are more than forty working years left in the quarry.
4843 Douglas Avenue
Milaeger's is a family owned business for over 40 years, featuring the finest plants, home and garden accessories, an array of collectibles, and fabulous apparel.
33 East 4 Mile Road
Built in 1938 by Frank Lloyd Wright as a private home for H. F. Johnson. It was established as the Johnson Foundation in 1960 as a conference facility. If the gates are open, you can drive in and look at the grounds, but the buildings are not open to the public.
- Wind Point Lighthouse
4725 Lighthouse Drive
Built in 1880, this is said to be the oldest and tallest lighthouse (112 feet) standing on the Great Lakes. Originally the beacon was operated by kerosene but is now fully automated. The Lighthouse also serves as the Wind Point Village Town Hall.
- Shoop Park
4510 Lighthouse Drive
Donated by Dr. Shoop, this site is a public nine hole golf course and provides a spectacular view of the Lake Michigan Shoreline. The course built in 1920.
- Prairie School
4050 Lighthouse Drive
A private co-educational school designed by Taliesin Associated Architects in the "prairie" style of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Johnson Wax Council House
150 — 3 Mile Road
A private facility used for business meetings and entertaining international visitors.
- Lakefront Homes
2500-3500 North Main Street
One of the many areas of beautiful homes in Racine.
- Racine Zoological Gardens
200 Goold Street
The Racine Zoological Gardens located on the north side of downtown covering 32 acres, the Zoo is home to over 250 animals representing 76 species including lions, wolves, rhinos, orangutans, kangaroos and more. The main building at the zoo was built between 1936 and 1939 and is still the focal point of the Zoo. Here you can see the big cats up close and watch the orangutans swinging from rope trapezes. After a major renovation effort in 1994, the animals' enclosures were enhanced by building display areas resembling natural habitat surroundings. The zoo pond is said to be the site of one of the old Racine brickyards.
The zoo is open every day except Christmas Day.
Summer Visiting Hours (Memorial Day to Labor Day) are 9:00am - 8:30pm.
Winter Hours (Labor Day through Memorial Day) are 9:00am - 4:30pm
Hours Subject to change for special events
- Captain Gilbert Knapp Monument
1751 Michigan Boulevard
A large granite monument bears a bronze plaque dedicated to Captain Gilbert Knapp, a lake-boat skipper, who in 1834 founded Port Gilbert — which is now called Racine.
- Racine Waterworks
100 Hubbard Street
This picturesque castle-like building was built in 1931-32 of glazed brick and decorative cut stone.
- Racine Yacht Club
2 Hubbard Street
One of Racine's yacht clubs. Sailboat races are sponsored several times weekly in the summer.
- Former Coast Guard Station and Lighthouse
2 Reichert Court
At the mouth of the harbor, these red-roofed, white buildings were built in 1866 on a rock-filled timber crib which was filled in to form a peninsula.
- Saint Patrick's Church
1100 Erie Street
On the top of the hill overlooking the mouth of the river, this modern Gothic structure was built by the Chicago firm of Barry, Byrne and Ryan in 1924. Byrne was a former apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Janes School
1425 North Wisconsin Avenue
Built in 1856 by Racine Architect Lucas Bradley, the Italianate building with cupola was named after Lorenzo Janes, one of Racine's first lawyers. The Queen Ann styling was added in 1883 and 1896-97.
- Saint John's Church
1501 Erie Street
Built in 1896, its ornate Gothic Revival design reflects the Germanic influence of early German congregations.
- Saint Joseph's Catholic Church
1525 Erie Street
A Victorian Gothic edifice trimmed with cut stone and sheet metal. Dedicated in 1878, the church was built by volunteer labor of the parish.
- German Cottages
1900-2100 Erie Street
These small cream brick houses found throughout the north side of the city are unique to Racine. They were built by German sailors, fishermen, and laborers between 1860 and 1900 local brick in a functional, sturdy design.
- O&H Danish Bakery
1841 Douglas Avenue
With Old World skills passed from fathers to sons, O&H Danish Bakery represents a multi-generation family commitment to quality. Founded in 1949 by Christian Olesen, a Danish immigrant. Authentic Danish Kringle is made by hand using the finest all-natural ingredients.
Mon-Fri 5:30am - 6pm - Sat 5am - 5pm - Closed Sundays
- Karel Jonas Statue
1700 Douglas Avenue
Erected in 1912 in Flatiron Square, the center of the early Bohemian settlement. Jonas was born in Bohemia in 1840 and came to Racine in 1863 to escape persecution. He was a journalist, a publisher, a legislator, a diplomat and ended his career as a U.S. Consul General in Saint Petersburg.
- Old Firehouse #4
1339 Lincoln Street
A first-rate example of early Racine firehouses. The four-story tower was an observation outlook as well as a storage place for hoses. Horses once pulled the fire equipment through the broad Roman-arched doors.
- Martin Luther King Plaza
1100 State Street
Dedicated in 1987. Stands at the intersection of State Street, Marquette Street and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive.
- Dania Hall
1019 State Street
Dania Hall was the home of the Danish Society formed in 1867 to aid Danish immigrants in learning language and customs. In 1976 a reception was given when the Queen of Denmark, Queen Margretha II, and Prince Henrik visited Racine.
- The Lincoln Block
900-910 State Street
This was a fine shopping area at the turn of the last century, identified by the pressed-copper ornamentation on the second stories where the shop owners lived.
- J. I. Case Corporate Office
700 State Street
The home office built in Romanesque style in 1904 was inspired by a post-card photo of the Boston Public Library. The old Case symbol, an eagle, was a replica of "Old Abe," mascot of the Wisconsin Eighth Regiment of the Civil War.
- Shoop Buildings
222 North Main Street
Designed by Racine Architect James G. Chandler in Richardsonian Romanesque style and dated 1893. It was here that Dr. Shoop produced patent medicine for many ailments (and green salve for the skin, with directions for its use in three languages).
- 245 Main Place
Built in 1858 as an office for Racine's first railroad, this building has also been a bank, library, court, Turkish bath, a theatre, a hotel and a restaurant.
- Pokorny Drugstore Building
331 Main Street
Built in 1883 by Chauncey Hall in the Flemish Renaissance style. Owned by a Racine architect and rejuvenated for commercial purposes.
- Reefpoint Marina
2 Christopher Columbus Causeway
Dedicated and opened to the public in 1987.
- Racine Harbor Park
1 Christopher Columbus Causeway
Dedicated in 1988. an Observation deck provides breathtaking views of the water, as well as glimpses Milwaukee to the North and Kenosha to the south. On a clear day you can see as far as the Sears Tower and John Hancock building in Chicago.
- Festival Hall and Festival Park
5 Fifth Street
Dedicated in 1987, Festival Hall received a merit award from the Wisconsin Society of Architects in 1988. Festival Park also includes a children's play area.